[jruby-dev] Benchmarks of Zero VM, JamVM, CacaoVM, Embedded Oracle on Beaglebone black
Kumar Sukhani
2013-07-31 21:56:54 UTC
Hi all,
I have setup my beaglebone black with Zero VM, JamVM, CacaoVM and Embedded
Oracle. And I tried to run compiler.compiler, crypto.aes, mpegaudio
and scimark.lu.large benchmarks in SPECjvm2008 project[1]. I have attached
its results[2] [3] in the attachments. compiler.compiler bechmark fails on
Cacao with error "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError".

Cacao should definitely be discarded because it is not able to run Java
programs on 512MB Ram device also. Performance of Oracle is best, but its
not opensource. So we should go with JamVM, as its memory requirement is
low and ZeroVM, as its faster than JamVM.

Any comments ?
[1] www.spec.org/jvm2008/
[2]
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1Y5sIAVjMZV5YpYuhtJYlr0Mo2YL1jH1udpCTKi6Djp4/edit?usp=sharing
[3]
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/16kTKrnsDLyEv2QguIb1A4eAlk47_meTZaxbG04ajxPI/edit?usp=sharing
--
Kumar Sukhani
+919579650250
Benoit Daloze

Charles Oliver Nutter
2013-08-22 20:39:34 UTC
Here's an updated list of benchmarks I would find useful to compare
JRuby embedded perf.

It would also be *really* nice to get perf on these benchmarks under
Ruby 2.0.0 as a baseline, so there's something to compare with.

Benchmarks for JRuby on ARM

in rubybench/time/

bench_fib_recursive.rb
bench_neural_net.rb
bench_nsieve.rb
bench_quicksort.rb
bench_red_black.rb
bench_richards.rb
bench_sieve.rb (not sure how this differs from nsieve)
bench_tak.rb
bench_threaded_reverse.rb (interesting to see how threads perform)

in rubybench/ips/ using benchmark_suite gem

bench_fib_complex.rb

in rubybench/perfer/ using perfer gem

bench_base64.rb
bench_fractal.rb (may need to pipe stdout to null)

All benchmarks from the "benchmarks game" would also be useful. Google
it, pick same sources they use for their JRuby results. Probably won't
want to run for the longest times they use, since it would take too
long.

- Charlie